KanBo search is based on its own search engine and the search engine built into SharePoint/Office365. KanBo compiles the search results into one easy to understand result page, which consists of 4 sections:
- KanBo Documents
- SharePoint Documents
- KanBo Users
Most important rule: KanBo will always show you results from Boards where you have at least a View permission. Results from Boards where you do not have access will never be shown. This rule applies to cards as well as to documents.
Section I : Cards
In this section, you will find all cards that are matching your search phrase ordered by a very sophisticated algorithm that computes your card personal relevancy based on your KanBo usage and the behavior of other users around found cards. Besides that, you will also see parts of the card’s content with the highlighted search phrase so you can better understand why you see a particular card in your results.
Section II : KanBo Documents
Whenever you attach a document to a card, KanBo keeps track of that document. In this section, you will find documents that are or were attached to cards. The results in that section are based on file names only and not content. The results are sorted by the same algorithm as the cards in the previous section since most of the documents are related to the context of the cards, which by definition is the KanBo DNA. Please note, that you can open the options menu on each search result and find additional features like displaying all cards that reference that document.
Section III : SharePoint Documents
The results within this section are documents stored on the underlying SharePoint. The SharePoint Search Engine delivers your most relevant documents from the complete SharePoint/Office 365 environment based on the content of these documents. In this section you will be presented only with files in formats such as i.e. .docx, .xlsx, .pptx, .txt, .pdf.
Section IV : Users
If the Display Name of a user contains the search phrase they will be displayed here. Please also check out additional options on found users like Show Profile or Show MyBoard.
Example - searching for a keyword "conference".
Example - searching for a user with a surname Monk:
I Personal relevancy algorithm
The results of search are delivered on basis of the user’s identity. The cards where the user is a member or the ones that are in that users MyBoard will score higher and therefore different users may get different results for exactly the same query. The results will be personalized on basis of users affinity to the card.
The results served by KanBo Search Feature are sorted by the activity score index. The index is being calculated on basis of the actions which were taken inside of the card. Couple of rules are being used while calculating the index:
- Card comments add more to the score than card actions ( moving card, checking/unchecking items etc.). For a simplicity we will call them “indexed actions”
- Such indexed actions are being split into three groups:
- Last 24 hours
- Last week
- All actions older than last week
- Indexed action/hour rate is being calculated to check if the number of actions in card in the last 24 hours is slowing down or maybe if the card relevancy is growing - the higher the activity index the more relevant is the card for the user performing the search - the higher will that card be displayed in the search results.
II Default operator
The default operator for the user searches is OR. When you type KanBo feature in the find field the results where the word KanBo OR the word feature occurs will appear in the results. For a literal search user must use the quotation marks. Typing “KanBo feature” will return all the results where this exact phrase occurs.
User can also use the wildcard operator * In example eur* will return all the results where the eur characters occur and are followed by any other characters.
III Advanced search operators
User can also use the advanced search functionality. Advanced queries can be built out of the following components:
- AND (i.e. (cardName:KanBo AND created:YESTERDAY) )
- NOT (i.e. (cardName:KanBo NOT board:Features) )
- OR (i.e. (cardName:KanBo OR dueDate:2HOURS) )
- Fields (please be aware, these are case sensitive)
- elementID – the ID of the card, number which can be seen in the browser’s URL address bar (i.e. elementID:23772 )
- cardNotes - the keyword located in a Card's note ( i.e. cardNotes:KanBo )
- cardName – the title of the card (i.e. cardName:KanBo )
- cardComments – comments in card activity stream (i.e. cardComments:feature )
- isArchived – if the card is archived (true/false) (i.e. isArchived:false )
- parentBoardId - the ID of a Board containing a Card, a number which can be seen in the browser’s URL ( i.e. parentBoardId:3 )
- created – search based on card creation date - it accepts numbers or operators for dates (i.e. created:5DAYS )
- dueDate – search based on card's due date (i.e. dueDate:YESTERDAY )
- board – the name of the board where the card is located (i.e. board:Features )
When searching for multiple keywords or values, please add them to brackets after the "operator:"
i.e. board:(KanBo Features)
- Operators for date fields (apply to: created and dueDate):
- TODAY (i.e. created:TODAY)
- LASTWEEK (i.e. dueDate:LASTWEEK)
- NEXTWEEK (i.e. dueDate:NEXTWEEK)
- TOMORROW (i.e. dueDate:TOMORROW )
- YESTERDAY (i.e. created:YESTERDAY )
- DAY or DAYS (i.e. created:10DAYS )
- HOUR or HOURS (i.e. created:6HOURS )
When using date field operators you can use number of days or hours.
These numbers can be negative in case you want to search in the past or positive if you want to search in the future. Searching both in the past and future works only for Due dates. Here an example dueDate:2DAYS will find all cards that are due in future within 1 or 2 days. dueDate:-2DAYS will find cards that were due yesterday and the day before yesterday.
The only exception is the date field created: because there can't be something created in the future - so here entering created:-2DAYS or created:2DAYS will always be interpreted as created within the last 2 days.
Example of an advanced query:
( cardName:KanBo AND isArchived:true ) OR ( board:Features AND dueDate:+10DAYS )
The query will return the cards where:
- Card title contains the word KanBo AND the card is archived OR
- Card is located in board where part of board name contains the word Features and the due date of the card is set within the time range of next 10 days from now.
While using the advanced search operators, the personal relevancy sorting of results will not be applied.
Customer support service by UserEcho