In case you have many KanBo instances, you can migrate each instance to become a stand-alone KanBo Web Application with only one Content Database. All important information about your KanBo will be located only in the Content Database and the Profiles and Instances database won't be needed further.
1. Downloading the deplyment tool from LINK
2. Unziping the deployment tool and moving it to a specified location on the server.
3. Making backups of KanBo package and databases.
See the manual for backup for:
Navigate to Microsoft SQL Management Studio and backup every database that contains “KanBo” in the name.
II Preparing KanBo Web Applications/Sites.
1. In case you have 2 or more instances you should prepare as many App Pools and Sites on IIS as the number of instances you have. Please keep in mind that you can reuse one existing KanBo Site for the first instance and create a new App Pool and Site for the next Instances.
Please be sure that you should have Enterprise admin or Domain admin rights to perform the following actions on IIs.
See the manuals:
- How to create Application Pools
- How to set up a Web Application (Site)
- How to assign a Web Application to the Application Pool
In case when you have one KanBo Web Application containing 2 instances, you can keep the existing KanBo Web Application. You must create a new Web Application and App Pool for the upcoming second KanBo which will be yet created.
In certain cases, new SSL certificates will be needed for th freshly created Sites.
2 App Pools (one already existing and one freshly added for the 2nd Site of 2nd Instance)
2 KanBo Sites (one already existing and one freshly added for the 2nd Site of 2nd Instance).
2. Click on the freshly create Site and select Explore. You will see a folder where we must copy files from the original KanBo Site.
3. Copy all files from the original KanBo package (in our case it will be from instacjatesty.onkanbo1.eu).
II. Adjusting KanBo.app on Sharepoint
4. Now we need to switch to SharePoint where your KanBo.app has been installed on 2 Site Collections.
KanBo.app on the 1st Site Collection is made for one of the Instances and KanBo.app on the 2nd Site Collection is made for the Second instance.
Please make sure you have the tenant administrator rights on your Office 365 and Owner rights on Site Collections in SharePoint.
5. Please go to the Site Collection where the 2nd KanBo.app is added.
6. Add /_layouts/15/appregnew.aspx to the Site Address. In our case it will be https://instancestest.sharepoint.com/sites/kanbo/_layouts/15/appregnew.aspx
7. We need to register a new KanBo.app once again.
Follow these rules:Client ID - generate it
Client Secret - generate it
Redirect URI: https://yoursiteaddress/pages/default.aspx
Once it is ready, click on Create. Please notice it's very important to copy all values above to notepad or any other text editor for the upcoming procedure.
8. Move to the web.config of your KanBo (in the working location on your sever).
In the following section, add your freshly generated Client Id and Client Secret.
<!-- <o365> -->
<provider id="sp" type="Sharepoint" clientId="YOUR CLIENT ID" clientSecret="YOUR CLIENT SECRET"></provider>
<!-- </o365> -->
9. Download the KanBo.app.
10. First of all change the extension of the KanBo.app to .zip so that it is KanBo.zip. When it is done, open the .zip file(do not extract it!) and open AppManifest.xml. It should be opened in a new window of a text editor (f. ex. Notepad, Wordpad).
11. Change the following in the AppManifest.xml:
- Change the Product ID to a randomly generated GUID.
- The <StartPage> section: change every single address so that it points to your site where KanBo is hosted, HTTPS is important. Replace url.placeholder with adres of your KanBo IIS.
- <RemoteWebApplication> section, change the ClientIdPlaceholder, so that it is the same as the ID you’ve previously generated while registering the app in SharePoint.
12. After the changes have been made, save the file, allow the .zip file to update, and change the file extension back to .app so that it is KanBo.app again.
13. When you are done with changes in the KanBo.app file you can upload it to the App Catalog. Navigate to your app catalog, choose Apps for SharePoint, upload the KanBo.app file there. (See more here).
14. In the app catalog, navigate to the "Distribute apps for SharePoint" and upload there our freshly modified KanBo.app file:
Do not install KanBo in AppCatalog! Please do it on the Site Collection.
15. Add KanBo to your Site Collection.
Do not use system account! Use tenant admin account instead-http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/808291/Sorry-only-tenant-administrators-can-add-or-give-a
Navigate to the site collection, click on add an app:
16. Find KanBo on the list of the apps you can add and click on it to install it.
17. You will have to click on "Trust" when asked if you trust the app. After a couple of seconds you should see the app installed and ready to use. Before navigating to the app please click on the app details to be sure that no errors occurred during the installation process.If no errors occurred you can click on the app to navigate to it.
You might find yourself not able to add this app.
18. To solve this issue, simply click Find out why link. After you enter the next site, please click Request Approval link.
Simply send it by pressing Request. You don't need to type any text into white area.
19.At https://YOURNAME.sharepoint.com/sites/appcatalog/AppRequests/ActiveRequests.aspx you might find your pending request for KanBo app approval. Approve it to move forward.
Go to your Site collection -> Settings -> Add an app.
Click on KanBo app tile.
After clicking Trust it button or solving App Request problem and then clicking Trust It button, KanBo app will be added to your Site Collection. It takes 10-30 seconds depending on the current load of Office 365.
20. KanBo will be added in a couple of minutes to your Site Collection. Don't click on it for now.
4. Splitting your KanBo Instances into stand-alone Sites using Deployment Tool
21. Go to your server where KanBo is installed. Enter the folder with Deployment Tool.
22. Open PowerShell by running it as administrator.
23. Open your KanBo folder location by using the following script. Replace folder name with a name of folder with original KanBo package. In our case it will be mk.
Change the path to your Deployment Tool local path and the following script to connect to the Deployment tool.
new-alias kanbo c:\DeploymentToolPath\kanbo
25. Step Migrate configuration of your KanBo web.config by filling in the address of Kanbo folder and executing the following script:
kanbo migrate-config C:\inetpub\YourFolderName\web.config
26. Now use the following script to set new KanBo package.
kanbo set-package-zip web.zip
27. Now publish the new package to the IIS folder. Apply your KanBo addres using https:// at the beginning.
For Instance 1 and 2:
kanbo set-publish-iis https://YourKanBoAddress.com -i 1
kanbo set-publish-iis https://YourKanBoAddress.com -i 2
28. Set the new KanBo URL by changing the address to your own and executing:
For Instance 1 and 2:
kanbo set-url https://YourKanBoAddress.com -i 1
kanbo set-ur https://YourKanBoAddress.com -i 2
29. The following script will clear the license key so you will be able to add a valid one later.
For Instance 1 and 2:
kanbo clear-license-key -i 1
kanbo clear-license-key -i 2
30. Use the following script to generate a setup authentication key
kanbo generate-setup-auth -m file -i 1
kanbo generate-setup-auth -m file -i 2
31. Use the following script to publish new KanBo package to your KanBo folder and make a backup of this package as well.
kanbo publish -i 1
kanbo publish -i 2
32. IMPORTANT! Make sure you have a backup of your databases before performing this step.
Use the following script to update the databases.
kanbo update-databases -i 1
kanbo update-databases -i 2
33. Use the following script to get your KanBo ID.
kanbo get-id -i 1
kanbo get-id -i 2
Once the ID is generated, please send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will generate a licence for you out of KanBo ID and send you the license key.
34.. Change XXXXXXXX for your license key and execute the following script.
kanbo set-license-key XXXXXXXX -i 1
kanbo set-license-key XXXXXXXX -i 2
35. Remove the setp authentication by using this script
kanbo remove-setup-auth -i 1
kanbo remove-setup-auth -i 2
36. Use the following script to publish all changes.
kanbo publish -i 1
kanbo publish -i 2
37. You should also migrate the Profiles database to keep the user's avatars and profile settings. Use the following script:
kanbo migrate-profiles-db -i 1
kanbo migrate-profiles-db -i 2
40. You should also migrate all links to make sure all internal links in your KanBo will point to the new address.
kanbo migrate-database-links --from=https://YourOldAddress/intranet/1 --to=https://YourNewAddress/ -i 1
kanbo migrate-database-links --from=https://YourOldAddress/intranet/2 --to=https://YourNewAddress/ -i 2
41. Launch also these scripts to get rid of the # sign in the address.
kanbo migrate-database-links -from="YourOldAddress" -to="YourOldAddress" -migrate-old -i 2
kanbo migrate-database-links -from="YourOldAddress" -to="YourOldAddress" -migrate-old -i 3
https://instancja-2.onkanbo1.eu/#/ - for old instance 2
1. After the successful migration, go to the KanBo Site location (KanBo site folder like wwwroot in inetpub foler). You will see there a .trash folder.
It contains backup of the old KanboPackage as well as the copy of a new package. It might also contain more information if the migration was unsuccessful.
Once you can confirm that KanBo works, you can delete this folder.
2. On the C disc you should see a folder with the same name as the KanBo site folder, which you just migrated and updated. It contains a deployment file containing all important information about your environment. You can simply move this folder to the folder where deployment tool is located (example:C:\deploy).
3. Once it is confirmed that KanBo works fine, delete the Instances and Profiles databases which are no longer needed. All information from them will be now located in the existing KanBo Content database.
4. As a last step, enter you KanBo and repair Document Sources by using this guide.
Contact us anytime with questions or remarks at email@example.com.
Customer support service by UserEcho